City of Lawton 2014 Birthday Reception & Ceremony – Public Invited
The Mayor of Lawton, Fred Fitch is pleased to invite the public to Lawton’s Birthday Reception and Ceremony to be held in the Banquet Hall in City Hall located at 212 SW 9th Street, Tuesday, August 5 at 5:30pm.
During the ceremony there will be three very important recognitions. Both the Lawton Rangers and the Pioneer Women’s Club of Lawton will be recognized for 76 years of service to the community. The Lawton Award in Excellence will be presented to Mrs.Pat Henry. This very special award is presented by the Mayor to an individual who exemplifies outstanding excellence in service to community, state, and nation.
Mrs.Pat Henryis a highly respected business woman, childhood education advocate and community leader at all levels of service in addition to her own family and business. She is known by her message, “we need to make our children “Priority 1a” in theUnited States of America.” Albert Johnson, Sr., 2013 Lawton Award in Excellence recipient said, “This honor is well deserved for Mrs.Pat Henry. Lawtonhas become a better place because of her leadership, commitment, and compassion in service to others, especially for young people which epitomize her caring.” Noting that their relationship in working in service to the community has been since 1960’s, Mr. Johnson said, “We don’t make things happen without others”. Highlights of her service to others include:
- 1998-Present, Comanche County Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees
- 1999-Present, City of Lawton’s Planning Commission, Transportation Policy Committee, and Investment Policy Committee
- 2013 - Present,Comanche County Industrial Development Authority (CCIDA) Board of Trustees
- 1960-1995, served at the local, state, and national levels with the Parent Teachers Association (PTA). From her children’s school to the National PTA, she served as President from 1991-1993.
- 1995-2003, Oklahoma Heritage Association Board of Directors, first woman to serve as Chairman
- 1988-1989, Association of U.S. Army, Southwest Oklahoma Chapter, first woman to serve as President
- 1988, Joint Civilian Orientation Conference, one of sixty citizens selected nationwide
- 1987-1988, Lawton Fort Sill Chamber of Commerce, first woman to serve as President
- 1988-1991, Oklahoma State Chamber, First woman to serve as Director
- 1987, Governor’s International Advisory Team
- 1986, United State Army War College National Security Seminar
- 1983, First Presidential Library Conference; one of twelve citizens selected nationwide to participate which was chaired by former presidents Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter
Awards and Other Recognition for her service:
- 1995, Pat Henry Elementary School named in her honor
- 1993, Pat Henry Day in Oklahoma Proclaimed by Governor of Oklahoma
- 1993, Citation from the Senate of the State of Oklahoma in recognition of dedication and uncompromising service for children
- 1988, Lawton’s “First Lady of the Year” from Beta Sigma Phi
- 1988, “Rising Above the Ordinary Women of Achievement” Award from Oklahoma Federation of Business & Professional Women’s Club
- 1988, “Citizen of the Humanities”,LawtonArts & Humanities Council
- 1987, “Alexis de Tocqueville Society Award” from United Way of America
- 1987, “Artillery Order of Molly Pitcher”.United States Field Artillery Association
- 1987, “Honorary Member Comanche County Veterans Council”
- 1986, Distinguished Service Award,Cameron University
- 1983, “Business in the Arts”,Lawton Arts & Humanities Council
- Many more too numerous to list
For more information, call the Arts & Humanities Division at 580-581-3470 or 581-3471.