The Farler family of Mt. Carmel, Illinois escaped injury last weekend after their pet pig Lucky awoke them when the trailer they all live in caught fire. Homeowner Ina Farler said Lucky sprang into action when the flames erupted:

"He started screaming. He would jump down, run to the door and then jump back up on the bed and hit me really hard. I sat up to see what was wrong with him because he usually doesn’t do that through the night. When I sat up, I realized the room was really smoky.”

Farler and her two grandchildren safely escape from the burning trailer. As for Lucky, Farler says she’s not surprised the swine acted heroicly, because pigs “can be very protective.”