What Are the Most Popular Excuses Drivers Use to Get Out of Tickets?
Trying to find the perfect excuse to get out of a ticket is never easy.
A new survey of 500 drivers by Insurance.com has shed some light on the most popular excuses motorists have given to police in the hopes they could squirm their way out of receiving a ticket.
If you’re looking for something outrageous like “Someone glued my shoe to the gas pedal” or “I’m dyslexic, so I thought the sign said ‘POTS’,” we hate to disappoint you because most of the excuses are pretty mundane.
Here’s a look at the top 11:
1. I couldn’t see the sign telling me not to do it: 20. 4%
2. I’m lost and unfamiliar with the roads: 15.6%
3. I didn’t know it was broken: 12.4%
4. Everyone else was doing it: 6.4%
5. I’m having an emergency situation in my car. (For instance, spilled a hot drink on your lap.):5.4%
6. I missed my turn/exit: 4.8%
7. I had to go to the bathroom: 4.6%
8. I didn’t do anything dangerous: 4.2%
9. I was on my way to an emergency. (For example, to help someone who is ill or injured.): 4%
10. My GPS said it was the right thing to do: 2.2%
11. I’m just helping out; I wasn’t even supposed to be driving. (For example, your friend is intoxicated.): 2%