What Are the 10 Best High Schools in America?
US News & World Report has released its list of the best high schools in America, teaming up with the Washington, DC-based American Institutes for Research (AIR), one of the largest behavioral and social science research organizations in the world.
A three-step process was used to determine the rankings. The first two steps ensure that the school serves all of its students well, using performance on state proficiency tests as benchmarks.
Schools were not judged solely on their ability to place students in college.
For those schools passing the first two steps, a third step then assesses the degree to which schools prepare students for college, using placement tests as a barometer.
While the schools making the list were spread out across the nation, two each appeared from Texas, California and Arizona. In fact, both schools from Texas are in Dallas, while both from Arizona are in Tucson.
Top 10 High Schools in America
1. School for the Talented and Gifted in Dallas, Texas
2. Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, Virginia
3. School of Science and Engineering Magnet in Dallas, Texas
4. University High School in Tucson, Arizona
5. International Academy in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
6. BASIS Tucson in Tucson, Arizona
7. Oxford Academy in Cypress, California
8. Pacific Collegiate School in Santa Cruz, California
9. International School in Bellevue, Washington
10. High Technology High School in Lincroft, New Jersey