It's been an active spring storm season in Texas and across the nation this year. With all the talk of heat, wind, and water - not to mention climate change - and how these elements can clash together, I suppose I'm not the only one wondering about the coming hurricane season.

The official dates for hurricane season in Texas are June 1 through November 30. However, most hurricanes - also known as "tropical cyclones" - often form in August or September. Storms affecting Texas build out of the Atlantic Ocean, gathering strength from the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico.

Unfortunately, the Lone Star State's 2024 hurricane season looks to be more active than normal.

NOAA’s outlook for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season predicts an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season and a 5% chance of a below-normal season. NOAA is forecasting a range of 17 to 25 total named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher). Of those, 8 to 13 are forecast to become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 4 to 7 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). - noaa.gov

Obviously, based on where you reside in Texas, preparedness measures will vary. If you live anywhere near the Gulf Coast, make sure you have precautionary plans in place. Heavy rains, strong winds, and storm surge are a threat to those living in coastal regions of Texas, even as far inland as Austin. Be sure and stock a basic supply kit to help assist in the event of a disaster.

NOAA's predictions for 2024 are for overall Atlantic season activity. If and when any of these storms will make landfall is currently unknown.

KLAW-FM logo
Get our free mobile app

The complete list of names for the 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Gallery Credit: Dan Zarrow

More From KLAW-FM