Don’t Let Summer End Without Trying These Yummy BBQ Sundaes
We know what you are thinking…what? A BBQ sundae?
And to that we say, don’t knock it 'til you try it!
While the long Labor Day weekend has come and gone, meaning that summer is at a close, there is a way to keep the fun going a little longer with these adorable little BBQ treats. Borrowed from our friends at Delish, BBQ sundaes are inspired by the more traditional ice cream sundaes of our youth.
The only difference is – there ain’t no ice cream in these cups! Instead, these sundaes are filled to the brim with savory goodness: Chicken, BBQ sauce, baked beans and mashed potatoes. And for good measure, the recipe also calls for pepperoncini, dill pickle spears and pickled jalapenos.
Go ahead and give them a try. We promise you will never forget your first time!
1 box cornbread mix, plus ingredients called for on box
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 c. onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. rotisserie chicken, shredded
Freshly ground black pepper
2/3 c. Stubb's Barbecue Sauce, plus more for drizzling
1/4 c. Frank's red hot sauce
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/4 c. mashed potatoes
1 16-oz. can baked beans
1 c. coleslaw
dill pickle spears
- Preheat oven to 375º and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Prepare cornbread according to box instructions and fill each cup 2/3 full with cornbread batter. Bake until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Make the chicken: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add chicken to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and pour barbecue sauce, hot sauce, and garlic powder over chicken and onions. Stir to coat, then cook until warmed through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Build the sundae: Once cool, place one cornbread muffin at the bottom of each 16-oz. mason jar. Top with one scoop of mashed potatoes and press to flatten.
- Top with one scoop each baked beans, coleslaw, shredded chicken and onions, then top with another scoop mashed potatoes. Garnish with dill pickle spear, Peperoncini, pickled jalapeños, cornbread, and a drizzle of barbecue sauce.